Sunday 15 July 2012

Seashells and Seaweed: Mermaid Airbrush

I really enjoyed airbrushing so I wanted to share with you another piece of work, this time incorporating body art as well. This design was centered around a sea creature/mermaid theme and was a fantasy focused design. I have always wanted to do a mermaid fantasy look because I think it is a great way to experiment but also incorporate beauty and elegance. Here are some images that inspired me:






Once I had decided on my theme I again visited the WRAP recycling centre and got loads of amazing fabrics and materials to use for a costume. The best item I found was a scale -like piece of metallic material which I knew instantly could be used to create my mermaid airbrushed scales.

I began by applying a light foundation base and powdering well. Then, using masking tape I marked out the shape on the face that I wanted to create. Masking tape is great in airbrushing as it can be used to create clear defined lines and shapes without harming your model or makeup. Once I had this I used two water based colours (green and lilac) and blended them into one another across the eyes (make sure that your airbrush is on a low pressure around the eye are as they are so sensitive). Once dried, I then used my scale fabric and a silver water based colour to create the scaly pattern on the face. I repeated these steps down the neck and across the shoulders. I then improvised and painted some seaweed and shells onto the model's body to add another dimension. Once I had this base I could then finish off the look with eyelashes, adornments, lipstick and some long plaits in the hair. I was really pleased with my final look and the costume finished it off brilliantly!







No comments:

Post a Comment